Adopt These Habits for Deeper Sleep
For many of us, a good night's sleep can be elusive, especially when it comes to snagging deep, thorough hours. Before you turn to a medication, consider your pre-sleep habits. Pluck out any contenders for disruption (scrolling social media while you lay in bed?) and try a few of the following:
- Power down. By now you've heard using electronics before bed can stress your sleep cycle. Turn off your phone and TV an hour before bed and opt for a book instead.
- Stretch before bed. While high-impact exercises before bed will raise your heart rate and could keep you up, gentle stretching can help you ease into sleep.
- Eat a high-protein snack. While eating a large meal late at night isn't a good idea, a small high-protein snack like a handful of almonds can help you sleep through the night.
- Clean your bedroom. Okay, a power wash won't be helpful for sleep, but picking up any items on the floor or surfaces before bed can help create a soothing, calm sleeping space.
- Create a ritual. A pre-bed ritual can help you alert your system that rest is on the way. Any of the earlier tips can be threaded together to create a ritual, as can nightly cuddles with your family or pets.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2020. All rights reserved.